Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Rant: Dogs





While out running today yet another dog challenged me. Every time I’m outside, it seems, somebody’s dog has to plant himself in my way and dare me to pass him. Where do they get such a chip on their shoulders?



I have never been much of a “dog person”, I prefer cats as pets. But half the population of Canada has a canine companion, and they all like to take them for a walk along my running route at the same time. Some of these animals are apparently trustworthy enough to go for a walk without a leash, and they run after me, sometimes jumping up on me, sometimes barking at me as if I’m a criminal getting away. The owner in this situation generally calls feebly at their dog to “come here”; a command which the dog always ignores. The owner then gives me an isn’t-he-precious look and ambles over to bodily move their snarling animal off me. Sometimes the owner will smirk and say "He just wants to play". Well, I do not play that. The less “trustworthy” dogs are led about by their necks with a leash. This leaves them free to wander all over the path getting their line tangled in people’s legs and around bushes while still being within yanking control of the owner. This makes it impossible for me to easily sidestep around the animal because the owner and dog are always on opposite sides of the path with the leash strung between them. Then there are the owners who throw their bodies over the dog the minute they see someone coming because the animal has a history of attacking innocent passers-by.



And let’s not even get started on the piles of poo left like land mines for runners to step in and then track with them for the next four miles.



If you are going to adopt a pet into your family, you should be responsible for training and controlling that pet. Maybe keep it from jumping on non-family members and barking its head off for no reason. Maybe you think it’s the cutest thing ever, but I fail to see how adorable it is while I‘m being mauled. And if your dog is so vicious you have to muzzle it or give it treats to prevent it from assaulting people, maybe you should take it for walks in less populated areas than the city running trail.



I know a dog can be a loveable family pet, a playmate for children, a companion to lonely people. But still, it’s a dog, not a person. Dogs should be taught to obey commands, to keep their slobber and filthy paws to themselves, and not to bark endlessly if there is no reason to bark. Dogs should eat dog food from a dog dish - not at the table - and not have more than one change of outfit.



If my children are being noisy or disruptive in public, I get the stink-eye from nearby folks who think I should be raising and managing them better. And they hardly ever jump on people in the park without warning. I try to keep them under control as best I can so they don’t bother people or get in anyone’s way. And I can say in all confidence that they are way cuter than any dog.


1 comment:

  1. "And my children hardly ever jump on other people..." Lol.

    Love it.

    In addition to your hatred of the people who walk dogs in a place where they are only getting in the way I would like to mention how much I dislike people who buy doggy sweaters and dress their pets up. :)

    ReplyDelete