Saturday, August 21, 2010

Motivation

There are many things in life we have to do. Sometimes I don’t want to do the things I should do. I don’t want to get up early in the morning. I don’t want to clean my house. I don’t want to work out. I don’t want to do errands. What don’t you want to do? Go to work? Start that big project you’ve been putting off? But I’m an adult so I have to make myself do it anyway. I have several little mind-tricks I use to force myself into doing what I should.

Music - it’s hard not to get at it and be enthusiastic when you’re rockin’ some groovy tunes. My play list includes my favourites from the golden oldies (Yakkity Yak) to the middle oldies (Bust a Move), to the newer oldies (Mambo no. 5), to the less-offensive new artists (Shakira and Kaanan). I pick fun stuff that’s going to get me shaking my booty while I do my tasks.

Bargaining - I fool myself into starting something with the promise of stopping early if I need to. Usually it’s just starting that I’m balking at. I tell myself I’ll only work out for 10 minutes, and then I can stop if I really need to. Then, once I’ve got my gear on, warmed up and started in I can usually stick it out until I’ve finished the whole work out. If I tell myself I’ll only scrub one of the toilets, then once I’ve got the cleaning products out and have started the job I might as well do them all.

Rewards - Yes, bribery. If I promise myself a little treat after I’ve completed some goal, or after I’ve stuck to my plan for a determined amount of time, then every time I don’t want to do it I can remind myself I’ll never get my reward if I don’t do the work. Maybe it’s a new lipstick after I’ve done all my other chores for the week. Maybe it’s a churro after I’ve stuck to my diet for a week straight with no other slip ups. Maybe it’s a new bathing suit after I’ve reached my goal weight.

A hard look in the mirror - If it’s my run I’m dragging my heels about, sometimes I take a long look at myself naked. I note the things I like about my physique and remind myself that they didn’t get that way by sitting on my butt. I suppose this would work in other areas of life too. Like if you weren’t motivated to go to work, you could look at your career and remind yourself that you didn’t get where you are today by slacking off.

Gather up the peeps - I join a class or enlist some friends to join me in my goal plans. It’s always easier to keep on track if you can commiserate with someone. Plus, if people are counting on you, you’re more likely to follow through. And if I feel like playing hooky, I’ll have to answer to them as well as my own guilt.

Showing off - There’s nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments. I think about how great I’ll look in that dress at a fancy function. I think about how impressed my guests will be with my nice, clean and tidy home. How superior I’ll be allowed to feel after I’ve done all my tasks and chores. I’m not above a little self-satisfaction with a job well done.

There’s no excuse for putting it off. Get it done and then you’ll have the rest of the day to enjoy yourself in your free time. Like the brilliant advertising executives of the power corporation, Nike, say: Just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment