Friday, August 6, 2010

Glimpse: Small things with great love


I believe that when you share something with someone, it produces love. I believe that loving and being loved is our entire reason for living. Loving our families. Loving our friends. Loving our world. Without it, life would be meaningless.


“There are no great things, only small things with great love. Happy are those.” - Mother Teresa


Sharing isn’t hard to do. It can be anything. A sandwich. An anecdote. A smile. Even these small things beget love. One of my favourite things is to share a story with my children. I read aloud to them a beloved story from my childhood or a new one we discover together, and they enjoy listening. We spend some time snuggling together and sharing the excitement of some fictional world, and it makes me love my children more. And it makes me love the story more.


I admire Mother Teresa. She devoted her life to creating as much love as possible. I am trying to remember to be loving in my every day life, though sometimes it’s hard when life gets busy. But like every good habit, if you remind yourself enough it will become part of your nature. The small things count, and they add up to great things.


Spread love everywhere you go: first of all in your own house. Give love to your children, to your wife or husband, to a next door neighbour... Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting. -Mother Teresa


That one line has stuck with me over the years. “Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier”. That is essentially what I strive for. Not just to do no harm in the world, but also to do no apathy. To be a positive force for good things every day. Even if it’s just a friendly word or a smile.


Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. - Mother Teresa


No comments:

Post a Comment