Friday, June 27, 2014

Happy Bread and Popovers

New experiments in bread this week:  Happy Bread and popovers.

Happy Bread was a recipe I'd been wanting to try because it looks so beautiful in the photos of the tutorial (you can find them here).  Madison's school chum has been ill lately.  She had to go to the hospital at the end of classes, and is now on bed-rest.   Our usual is to bring a treat and Madison thought bread (that's my girl!). 
Happy bread, but not happy expression on this model
Madison helped with every step of this bread, and we made two loaves so we could keep one.  We liked it, but we thought the yeast-rolls I made a few weeks ago were better tasting.  These were more crusty - not that that's a bad thing, the buttery, crunchy crust was nice - but I preferred the softer yeast rolls.  These were very pretty, of course, making them perfect as a gift or as a table decoration, but they were a lot more work to shape than I would do for an ordinary loaf.

Also I made some pop-overs for dinner to go along with crock-pot roast beef.  I have made these before, so I can't claim them as an experiment, but I think they still count as bread.  I used the recipe from my favourite cookbook,
This book really does have everything, and I use it all the time.  It was a wedding gift from my grandmother.

Mixed up the batter


Out of the oven
Alongside roast beef and gravy

These have a very satisfying, eggy texture that is perfect for soaking up gravy.  I usually make them in a muffin tin, but if I want extra big ones, sometimes I use a mini-loaf pan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment