Thursday, November 18, 2010

Weekday Afternoon

The little prince, drawn by Saint Exupéry hims...Image via Wikipedia

It was an ordinary, hectic weekday afternoon. Madison and Kai were home from school and all the kids were in the throes of homework, snacks, and general mess-making. I was working my way through my seemingly never-ending (or never-even-shortening) Stuff I Gotta Do List. The kids were bickering with each other and squabbling over who did what to whom, nagging me about where’s my this or that, and basically getting on my nerves. After shouting at them to “stop it!” over my shoulder for the tenth time, I put down my broom. I told them to go and sit on the couch and wait for me. Not knowing what was coming, they somberly lined up on the couch expectantly. I went upstairs and retrieved my copy of Le Petit Prince and brought it downstairs to read to them.

The children were instantly engrossed in the story of The Little Prince; asking questions, making comments and observations, and snuggling in close to see the pictures. We had less than an hour before I had to round them up and take them to their evening activities, and we spent the whole time reading the book.

When Kent came home from work that night, he found the house a mess. I hadn’t finished sweeping the floor and there was a pile of dirt and debris in the middle of the dining room. There wasn’t any bread ready for dinner, there were toys and books and clothes everywhere. I took the kids to Tae Kwon Do with my hair a complete disaster and not a bit of make-up on my face. But instead of getting all of that done, I got to experience the following:

ANTOINE DE SAINT-EXUPÉRY: “Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is exhausting for children to have to provide explanations over and over again.”
MADISON: (Nodding her head with a very serious expression) “You know, that’s true - it is.”

When the narrator tires of drawing sheep for the Little Prince that time and time again don’t meet with his approval, he draws instead a crate and says the sheep is inside. There is an illustration of the crate, and Caylie leans close to the page to see if she can see the sheep in it through the holes.

Upon being asked if he thinks he would try to tame an animal, Kai answers, “I would tame a cobra snake. If I found one. Then it would be my friend and it would follow me around.”

If you have never read this moving, fantastical tale - or if you have but it’s been a while since you really thought about it - I recommend you pick it up and give it your attention. You will not regret spending the little time it takes to re-familiarize yourself with the simple, yet deeply profound existence of a child. It’s not just a story; it is a guide for living your life and seeing the beauty in the world around you… though the true beauty lies beneath and within that which you can see.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I have never read this story before, but will be one we get from the library on our next visit for sure!

    And I was even thinking of you recently because we are going through the audio of 'Anne of Avonlea.' The setting is Prince Edward Island and because you are my only Canadian friend and so often your dailymile posts seem just as lovely as Anne's 'lake of shining waters' your name comes to mind :-)

    Have you read any of those before? We are so loving them! Anne has such a rich imagination and just like your comments about The Little Prince, L.M. Montgomery's Anne also is such a charming girl that really does serve as guide for 'seeing the beauty of the world around you'

    Isn't reading with your children absolutely wonderful! I am glad you got to share some sweet moments with yours :-)

    ReplyDelete