Saturday, August 23, 2014

Scones

I make scones from time to time, and my family always devours them.  On the occasions that I have made these for company or others, they have always been met with praise.  These are one of my go-to crowd pleasers.

I got the recipe from my favourite cookbook
It has a basic recipe for the plain scones, which is quite delicious on its own.  Then additions can be made to make them sweet or savoury.  Mark Bittman says that scones are ultra rich biscuits made with cream - you could make them with milk, but there what would be the point in that?

Here is how to make them:
Cream Scones

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar (if you are making these into sweet scones, use 2 tbsp sugar)
5 tbsp butter
2 eggs (plus one for egg wash)
3/4 cups heavy cream.  I use whipping cream

Combine dry ingredients, cut in the butter.
Beat the eggs into the cream and add to dry mixture.
Knead 10 times.  Pat flat and cut into shape, or use a round cutter or drinking glass to cut into 10-14 rounds.
Brush the tops with one egg mixed with 1 tbsp water (optional.  I never do this)
.

Bake at 450 for 7-9 minutes.  Test the inside by poking with a skewer or toothpick and make sure it comes out clean. 

Variations: 
Savoury - you could add just about anything savoury into this batter before baking.  I have tried herbs and bacon, but our absolute favourite is sharp cheddar cheese.  I add about 1 cup of grated cheese to the eggs and cream as I beat them together.  These cheesy biscuits are perfect to go along with soup.

Sweet - you could add just about anything sweet into the batter too.  Fruit, raisins, nuts, spices, whatever.  Recently I made these into a dessert by adding a half cup of coconut and a tsp of coconut extract (along with a little extra sugar).  Then I served them with sweetened creme fraiche and homemade saskatoon syrup.

Also I have made miniature scones with lemon and poppy seeds that my son thinks are "Hobbit seed cakes". 

No comments:

Post a Comment