Friday, April 27, 2012

The dog days are over

This week I will officially start my taper period before the half marathon race on May 6th.  Taper is when the training "tapers" off towards the end so that I can rest up and save my strength for the race.  Running my recovery after the last long run (13 miles) of the training program, this song came on my ipod and I totally rocked out to it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGrx6etMl0w

The Dog Days Are Over (Florence and the Machine).  I've always likened this song to the taper period because it feels like the dog days of the training are done and all that's left is the coast into the race.

 "Happiness hit her like a bullet in the back" is so similar to the ambivalence I feel at taper.  It's so great to finally be done the tough runs, no more long slogs, no more gutting it out when you don't feel like it.  However, the lack of confidence creeps up; have I trained hard enough?  Is my goal realistic for me?  Will I get sick or injured in the next week?  But like the song says, I have no choice but to let it come as it may; what's done is done. 

"Run fast for your mother and fast for your father
run for your children, for your sisters and brothers
Leave all your love and your longing behind 
you can't carry it with you if you want to survive"
I feel like this embodies the race itself.  Run as fast as you can, do it for all the people who have put up with your miserable self during the training period and who are cheering and encouraging you from the sidelines.  They are proud of you no matter what, give them what they deserve - the best you have.

"The dog days are ove-er, the dog days are done
The horses are coming so you better run"
I have no analogy for horses, but the race is coming.  The entrants are ready and you'd better be ready too.  Now that the preparation is over the only thing left is to run

No comments:

Post a Comment