Tuesday, April 12, 2011

New Neighbours

Yes! The house is finally in enough order that I feel able to relax and live in it. Of course there are several minor projects still waiting for me to attend them, but such is life. We unpacked the last box and hung the last picture this weekend, and now I have been straightening and cleaning up after the madness.

One of the first things on my relaxing-and-living-in-my-new-home agenda was to take gifts to each of our neighbours. Yes, all of them. But don't get excited, we only have two other houses on our street. As we were moving in, each of the wives brought us welcome gifts, along with their names and phone numbers should we need anything. How great is that?
The couple immediately next to us brought a beautiful bouquet of orange and pink roses and a card. They have offered the kids to play on their lawn any time; have offered to lend us tools, lawn care equipment, etc; have even treated our trees for us (with some horticulture oil mixture so they don't grow fungus? - I don't really understand it).
The couple on the other side of them brought us muffins and cookies as we were in the chaos of moving; invited the kids to jump on their trampoline, offered our kids to play with their dogs any time, and had Madison and Kai over for a playdate with their niece when she visited this weekend.

So as soon as the house was put together, I made some thank-you cards and some apple pies and Caylie helped me carry them over (she carried the card, I carried the pie). The steaming pies were warmly received, and promises made on both sides that we'll get together soon to visit.

Already we have interacted more with our neighbours here after a few weeks than we ever did over years at other locations (with the exception of Revelstoke, where we had the best neighbours ever)! I am so pleased with the warm welcome, and I just know we're going to be a small, but close community on this lovely little street!

No comments:

Post a Comment