Thursday, September 4, 2014

Chipati

I love Indian food.  Usually the restaurants we go to serve delicious naan bread, which I do adore.  However, back several years we used to live near a restaurant that served the softest, most delicious chipati and I fell in love.  

So when I had a hankerin' I thought I'd try my hand at it.  I found the recipe here.  It looked simple enough, and it said you could use oil or melted butter instead of ghee (I've never tried to make ghee and it seemed a lot of extra trouble).  

First  you mix the flour, water, and salt (I added a bit of melted butter at this stage), and it makes a pliable dough.  Then you rest the dough for 30 min.  

Next, cut the dough into 12 pieces, and roll them into little balls. 

The you roll them flat and brush them with butter, fold and brush again, fold again so you have a little origami dough triangle. 
Then heat the griddle, and roll the chipatis as flat and thin as you can.  Once one is rolled out, flap it onto the griddle and brush the top with butter.  Flip it onto the buttered side and brush the other side with butter.  Once the first side starts to bubble, flip it over and it will immediately start to puff up with air.  Neat! 

When it's done set it aside and do the rest of the chipatis.  They will deflate as they cool, but will be soft and chewy and good.  Serve them warm and use torn pieces of chipati to scoop up and eat saucy dishes, like Butter Chicken.  So yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment