Saturday, June 2, 2012

I am learning to sew

Madison's birthday gifts
 For Madison's birthday this year I presented her with a few items I made myself using my mom's sewing machine.  These are simple projects, as I am just learning on the machine.  All these are made with discount material from Fabricland's clearance section.
Piggy wallet
 The first thing I tried was this piggy change purse.  I found a detailed instruction list and pattern at http://www.noseynest.blogspot.ca/.  I thought it turned out really cute! 
Piggy magic bag
 Next I made this magic bag.  I didn't use a pattern for this, just made up my own shape, and I thought it would be cute to keep with the pig theme.  I researched what to put in the bag online, and tested a variety of materials before settling on pot barley as filler. 
Caddy
Lastly, I made this "caddy".  I thought it would attach just under the side of a mattress to put your book in etc beside the bed; but it can hold school supplies on your chair, or remote controls beside the couch etc.  Again, no pattern I just sewed squares of material onto each other to make pockets. 

Madison was thrilled with her pretty material, and she has been using all the things since her birthday.  I have made another gift set for my nephew (forgot to take pics), and have plans for many more fairly easy handmade things to come!

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome! I love the caddy idea... I might have to steal that one ;)

    ReplyDelete