Sunday, February 12, 2012

Get up and go!

I know I haven't posted in over a week.  I haven't had much to say, haven't taken any photos, haven't worn any worthwhile outfits.  But I did have an experience yesterday I thought was worth sharing.

According to my training plan, I had to run 6 miles at race pace (slightly faster than my usual pace) yesterday.  But I really didn't feel like it.   I kept thinking of excuses why I might skip this one.   But I told myself I'd just put on all my running gear and start.  Sometimes making myself start is the hardest part.  So I dressed the part, and began the warm up, but I still didn't want to run the rest of the run at the faster pace - and again, I had to force myself to just start.  Once I was going, it was a simple mind game to keep myself at it until it was finished, but the battle had been fought at the beginning. 

Along the way in my life I learn things about myself.  One such thing is that I can do more than I feel like I can do.  When I feel like I won't be able to keep up, won't be able to go on (with anything, from running, to parenting, to anything else in life) I tell myself that as long as I can, I will.  And then I do.  If I wait until my body actually gives out from exhaustion rather than anticipating that it will, it never really does and I can continue on even though I didn't really feel like I could. 

No comments:

Post a Comment