Sunday, June 5, 2011

Living in the Now

Kent and I have finally decided to move to the current century. We've committed to new phones.

We had been making do with a home land line and an old cell phone with minimum minutes. I would carry the cell most of the time (with a dead battery), and Kent would take it on days he felt he might need emergency communication capabilities. This was working out ok, except if Kent forgot he needed the cell and then didn't have it, or except if it inexplicably refused to produce the person's voice on the other end. What do you want for a 7 year old flip phone?

So we decided we needed a new phone, and probably two phones - one for each of us. As is Kent's MO, he researched phones, plans, shared minutes vs individual plans, different companies and their network coverage, etc. When we felt we were armed with enough background information, we went to the mall (where all the cell phone companies have mini-outlets or kiosks). We talked to a few different salesmen who glibly walked us through their recommendations for us, and we decided to stay with telus and go with two individual plans.

One of the great things they did for us was rolling our existing phone numbers to the new phones and plans. What was our cell number before is now Kent's direct personal line, and what used to be our home landline is now my cell number. I loved that they could just click a few keys and make that happen without any further application on our part. And now we can talk and text to each other as much as we want, anytime!

Kent and I both chose smart phones that are capable of texting, surfing, voice commands, and unlimited applications. This is the first time we've been so current with the times and it feels so cool!

I think Kent's favourite part of the new phone is the games and apps he can amuse himself with. My favourite thing is texting - my phone has a little keyboard for ease and comfort. So feel free to text me any time!

1 comment:

  1. i am sure you are loving your new phone! Our cell phone provider finally started offering coverage for the iPhone, so I got one a couple of months ago. At first I didn't think it could possibly be all that great, but now I can't possibly imagine life with out it! Too bad you are considered international for my coverage, because I would text you for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete