Saturday, February 5, 2011

Beautiful, beautiful world

Still running. And it’s often hard. Or boring. Or otherwise unpleasant but I’m still slogging through my training plan. While I’m focused on getting my miles done, it’s easy to keep to the tunnel vision of just watching where I step and paying attention only to what is directly in front of me for the duration of the miles I need to cover that day. But this week I found myself on a different trail and I looked around myself to enjoy the spectacular view of Okanagan Lake and valley. It was so beautiful! When I left the house that morning it was icy. There was a layer of thick ice coating everything. I had to chisel my way into the truck, skate my way downtown, and there was no chance of running on roads, sidewalks, or pathways that day. So I went to the KVR where the gravel isn’t slippery even if it is icy. The gravel path climbs up through orchards and vineyards above the Okanagan Lake and through the hilly valley.

I felt like I’d forgotten until just that moment how beautiful my surroundings are. And then I remembered that I live in Canada, one of the most beautiful countries in the world. And then I remembered that I’ve been to beautiful places all over the world. I felt a new appreciation for the beauty all around us. My family, my friends, and most of the strangers out there are beautiful too and I am so grateful for them.

It was as if I had been sleeping all these winter months and just now awoke and took stock of what wonderful things are in my life. It reminded me of this quote from the 1999 movie American Beauty:

“…there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it. And then it flows through me like rain. And I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life.”

I resolve to open my eyes to the beauty in my world. To enjoy my children and my husband and my parents and my friends. To stop and savour at least once a day how wonderful it is to be alive. Time passes by so quickly, I don’t want to miss the gifts of life because of tunnel vision.

I’m glad it was icy that morning.

1 comment:

  1. I have always loved how Louis Armstrong shares his similar sentiments..

    I see trees of green, red roses too
    I see them bloom for me and you
    And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

    I see skies of blue and clouds of white
    The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
    And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

    The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
    Are also on the faces of people going by
    I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
    They're really saying I love you.

    I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
    They'll learn much more than I'll never know
    And I think to myself what a wonderful world
    Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world.

    Thank you for that precious reminder : )

    ReplyDelete