Friday, January 21, 2011

Marathon Training

So it’s official, Kent has convinced me to attempt to run a marathon. We have set our sights on the Vancouver Marathon on May 1st. This will be my first marathon and I’m a little scared by it. Not only is it a daunting distance, but the training plan is a huge commitment.

Kent has decided to run this one with me at an easy pace to encourage me over the finish line. Like running with my own personal pace bunny. So we have both chosen a training plan online, and will be doing the same weekly runs (though his will be much faster than mine). I had to tailor the plan to my schedule and work around Caylie’s preschool days and my volunteer hours, but it’s going to look like this:
Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Run for a specified time rather than distance (eg 1 hour), combined with some hill work. I will probably always do this on the treadmill.

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Tempo

Friday: Recovery with some speed bursts (“striders”)

Saturday: Long

Sunday: Short, easy run - maybe with a local running group

And there we have it. So far the Tuesday runs have been the hardest because it’s on the treadmill and when I run on the treadmill I find my willpower and dedication waning. However, most of the runs are going according to plan. So far my speeds are a little slow for my liking, but it’s early in the plan yet and speed will come with more training.

I am trying to balance getting in all the miles and building the training base with easing into higher mileage and avoiding injury. A delicate tightrope walk, but so far I have been fairly pain free. There is a long road ahead, but I am feeling optimistic!

3 comments:

  1. We are thrilled that you have chosen the 2011 BMO Vancouver Marathon to be your first marathon! It will be our 40th so will be a HUGE celebration for all!

    Congrats on taking the first steps and don't feel overwhelmed, one day at a time!

    Be sure to follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BMOVanMarathon

    Lots of tips being shared by running vets and newbies alike.

    Best of luck with your training and see you on the course May 1 :)

    Cheers,
    Kevin
    2011 BMO Vancouver Marathon Social Media Manager

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you! You have such a great coach, lots of encouragement from the dailymile, and already a super positive experience from your first half. I know you have the determination and discipline to make this an awesome full! Go Signe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great for you Signe! Who knows maybe I'll be doing my own little marathon that day... the baby is due May 1st! It would be great to see you regardless, maybe we can come and cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete