Sunday, September 5, 2010

Motivation II

After my exploration on self motivating techniques a few weeks ago, my brilliant husband, Kent, shared a wonderful one with me that he uses. I have started using this “trick” in my every day life and it works so well I just had to write it in.

When there is a task or chore looming ahead that is intimidating or boring that you don’t want to do, you say “I have to…” Eg. I have to clean the house. I have to go to work, I have to wash the car, etc. Kent’s trick is to change the wording (in your mind and out loud) to “I get to…” Eg. I get to clean the house. I get to go to work. I get to wash the car.

I get to clean my house because I have a house to clean. And I have time to clean it. And I have a family who will appreciate our clean house. See? Just changing one word reminds us of something we should be thankful for. And if we’re thankful for having a house to clean, we will be respectful of the privilege by keeping it clean.

We get to go to work because we have a job to go to. And we worked hard to get it. And we have people who count on us to be there. And we will value that state by showing up and doing our work.

This trick works with anything from any aspect of life, and it makes me feel lucky just because I have chores to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment